Monday, January 24, 2011

This is hard!

Domestic Good Enough-ess.

This isn't going to be news to anyone, but getting several parts of your life on track at one time is really challenging. As I mentioned before, I'm no natural at typical homemaking duties. I struggle with prioritizing different tasks, the willpower to delay gratification ("Just five more minutes!" might be one of my top five phrases), and am not known for cleaning as I go.

A month ago, I'd started to really rock it in terms of keeping the apartment in order, crossing off things on my to-do list, and making great meals, even for company. That's when my eating fell off a cliff and I gained, well, I don't know what I gained, because I was too scared to step on the scale. Now everything has flip-flopped and I'm down a few pounds, eating and exercising like a rock star, but struggling to wash the dishes every day.

I fall prey to my internal perfectionist, the one who tells me if it's not going to be perfect, why should I even bother? The one who doesn't accept partial credit, the one for whom anything but the best is never enough. You know what? It's time to bring in the FlyLady, because that seems to be the only voice my crazy perfectionist brain will hear when it's all worked up. You ready, crazybrain? Here we go:

"Housework done incorrectly will still bless your family. It may not be done the way your Momma taught you. But it will be done. This will make your home shine and you will smile. I am so proud of you for Blessing Your Home!" - FlyLady

You hear that? Ease up! Only cleaning one corner of a room means there's that much less to do the next time you walk in there. Only having the courage to leave the house for an hour will make it that much easier to break out of the prison of anxiety the next time you feel like you really need to get out of the house. Only having the time for frozen vegetables instead of fresh is so much better than just throwing up your hands and going out to eat. Baby steps, Whitney!


Back on the fatfront, today I weighed myself and I was 182.6 lbs. That's great! To be fair, I was naked, where my original weigh-in picture on Thursday was clothed, but it's encouraging! I was thinking of doing a weekly weigh-in on Thursdays, but it might be more fun to do it on Tuesdays, since September 20th is a Tuesday. Hmm. Well, I have I day to figure it out, I suppose.

No comments: