Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Great Employment Experiment - Day 1

The first day of your job quest is kind of lame, I'll admit. This is the day to write your resume. If you've done this before, you can probably update your old one, but if you haven't, break out the word processor and get to typing. The last post in this series gave you a few resources for resume writing, but anyone could plug away at Google for a few minutes and you should have a pile of sample resumes to steal ideas from.

This took me a day and a half, one day of working on my "experience" section, putting what I was responsible for at each job into fancy resume words, and half a day stating my objective. I'm something of a perfectionist, what can I say? This is actually a good time to be a little obsessive, so I suggest you read, reread, and share your resume with your most critical friend. You'll be walking out after dropping it off at your dream job when you notice you mixed up some letters in a way your spellchecker didn't pick up.

Well, a day and a half later, I had a shiny new resume. I typed it up in Microsoft Word, but if you don't have that, OpenOffice is a free suite of office tools, from a word processor to other tools that do spreadsheets, presentations, and paint. I emailed the resume to myself and printed it from a computer hooked up to a printer. You could do this at a FedEx Office or a library, and then run 15 or so copies.

Conclusion:

This part is as hard as you make it. How intense you want to be is up to you, but I suggest you put a lot of time and effort into your resume, because when you can't get in there and talk to a manager, this is your business card. Do you want to regret little mistakes that make you look less qualified than you are?

I hate making my resume, but I love how I feel when I'm done with it. You can do this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.