Thursday, April 28, 2011

Late Again!

Again, life has been in the way of me being in a state of constantly updating this blog, and other things have taken precedence. This is okay.

I got a job! I got a job at a restaurant and I've trained two days so far and have training again tonight. I don't know my schedule beyond that, but I suspect it will be a number of lunch shifts and perhaps weekday nights.

The people are VERY nice at the restaurant, and I like it. The computer system is pretty easy though I expect it'll get harder when I'm at it on my own without my training waiter right there with me. The menu seems awfully long and there is a lot of overlap among dishes, so it seems kind of challenging to learn everything, but I'm going to keep going and a combination of studying and experience will make it happen, I'm sure.

Since I'm in training, I'm making minimum wage, but once I'm on my own, I'll be making a much lower minimum wage plus tips. I grabbed a mason jar for my change, but other than that I haven't really given much thought to how I want to handle money now that I'll have an income for the first time in, what, eight months?

I want to set some aside for savings, give some to Mom and Dad for room and board, and buy some things I've been wanting, like a phone and some kind of phone plan, but I'm okay with waiting a while for things. I just want to make a plan soon so I don't find myself three or four months in, $6.45 in my savings account and  wondering what I did with the money I made.

I imagine being on top of your finances has some similarities to being on top of your weight, except I hope it takes less time. I spend way too much time reading about and working on my fitness as it is, and I really don't need any new projects between family, the blog, exercise, cooking, the boyfriend, and more.

No comments: