Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reflections on Waitressing

So I've been working as a waitress at an authentic Mexican restaurant for two months now, and it's probably a good time to share what I've learned and how I feel about it so far.

First of all, it's a great fit for me. I make more money per hour from this job than any previous, though my record-keeping has been pretty lax in determining exactly what I make. I made a chart today to help me track my tips per hour, and to also help me discover trends in terms of most lucrative shifts/days to work. Generally I work from 8-20 hours a week, which is pretty low, but it gives me lots of time to hang out with family, work on little projects like housework and wedding planning, and talk to Chris. Not having huge financial demands helps me not worry so much about how few hours I get some week.

Second, I enjoy the actual work. The customers are pleasant and usually not too needy, my coworkers are generally friendly and willing to help, and the work overly taxing but is interesting. I'm learning to balance plates and carry more than just one in each hand. They're horribly hot, but I'm getting a little tougher. I'm learning the ins and outs of the drinks we sell, and have improved leaps and bounds in learning the menu and questions customers like to ask about it. Closing is the worst, and for all the better money I make in the evenings compared to lunch shifts, getting two tubs of silverware dumped on you, having to wipe down and sweep your entire section, and not making more than $4.29 an hour for it is a little disheartening. I try not to let it get to me too much, though, and it's not a big deal except when I'm bitterly rolling silverware at 9:45 when I was supposed to get out at 8:30.

The tips themselves are highly rewarding, but don't function as an incentive to give better service. I'd give the same level of service if I were on a flat rate versus otherwise, and feel worse if I've screwed up an order for a guest than if I just got a low tip. It's fun getting cash every day, though, and then having the bonus of weekly paychecks, small though they may be.

So yeah, I dig it! I'm glad I have this job, because it really works for me at this stage of my life.

No comments: