Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm at the Pearson International Airport!

Oh hello! I'm in an airport, what's up?
Apparently, the airport from which I'm leaving Toronto has free wireless internet. The Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta charges fr WiFi, so I'm not going to update from there. In the meantime, hi! I'm doing okay.

Chris's mom and brother picked us up right after I finished my last post, and we went to Harvey's for burgers and chicken fingers (guess which one was me). We then went to the airport, where we parked, filled out my customs declaration form, and checked in at Delta. The check-in lady told us that because we were early we could wander around a bit, so we headed to one side of the terminal to look out the giant windows and try to watch planes. Apparently we picked the wrong side, so we headed in the opposite direction to look out those windows. On the way a random check-in lady told me that since I'd checked in I had to go right to customs, and I got really intimidated and headed in that direction before Chris and his family steered me away and told me she was wrong and let's go look at some planes, darn it. I was worried, but Chris told me that the worst that would happen is that they might ask to weigh my checked bag again.

Eventually we had our fill of planes and it was time to head to customs. I hugged everyone and Chris and I said our goodbyes and I'll see you soons and then I went through the line of customs. I got a pleasant man who checked all my paperwork and stamped my boarding pass and passport, and then I went through security. I wore non-laced shoes, so I felt pretty smug about how easily I slipped off my shoes and that I knew I had to take my laptop out of the bag and all that. Basically, I felt like a boss. A travel boss. I made it through, didn't set off any crazy alarms, and went on to find my gate. That's where I am now.

Our plane isn't here yet, but it's got 55 minutes left to take off. Of course, according to my boarding pass it should be here and we should be boarding now, but it's no big deal. I'm sure. I'm sure? Sure. I just double checked the Delta website to see if everything was going smoothly, but it swears we're on time. It swears! Oh fun, now the lady behind this gate's desk is calling a handful of people from our flight up to the desk and reassigning them to different flights. It's only been about 10 people so far, so we'll see where this goes, huh?

Me and my eReader

There's no need to worry. For now, I'm going to close up my laptop, put delays or other plane changes out of my mind, and get down on a book or two. Right now I'm reading Service Included, Four Star Secrets of an Eavesdropping Waiter, and I'm still in the beginning of Gone with the Wind, which is a challenge to read, not because of the story, but because of every other page having really off-putting racial language that's pretty hard for this young liberal with loads of white guilt to handle.

But hey, our plane's here! I'm going to try to snap a picture and pack up my items. These are the last words I'll type from Canada in a while. I'll see you again in America!

No comments: