Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Asking For Help - Apparently, It Works!

Today I mentioned to my boss that I was looking for more hours and I picked up one shift this week, an extra hour on one of my already scheduled shifts, a promise to be trained on the host stand tomorrow, and a shift next week hosting!

Apparently, it's pretty common for servers at our restaurant to snub hosting shifts because you only make minimum wage, but an extra shift here and there is an extra shift, and I'd rather work three serving shifts and one hosting each week than having to hunt for another job to either compliment or replace this one. I like this job. I finally know the people and the procedures, and I'm getting better at it.

Work today was pretty average, but overcoming my nervousness and doing this made me feel like I'd done something awesome. It's not about the wimpy $7.31 an hour, it's about being braver, and asking for things I deserve. If the hours hadn't been available, I'd look elsewhere, but I'm glad I didn't let a little case of nerves keep me from doing that.

No comments: