Thursday, March 24, 2011

Less Than a Week Left

Chris, Monte, and I on a picnic at the Toronto Islands back in October.

It's official, I'm down to my last six days in Canada. I should probably start packing. Chris and I talked yesterday about all the amazing things we've seen and done together since I've been here, and it was great to think of all of our times, from watching Wicked at the Canon Theatre to carrying the heaviest bookshelf in the world across town after buying it from Ikea.


I took a picture as we rode down the escalator while carrying a bookshelf and two doors.

We shared Canadian Thanksgiving with Chris's family at the farm and American Thanksgiving in our apartment, with a chicken I roasted, impossible pumpkin pie, sweet tea, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce from a can like it's supposed to be, and squash soup. All without the aid of any kind of mixer/blender/food processor. Lots of using the potato masher and colanders, though.

We celebrated Thanksgiving on a Saturday, too. Close enough!

We celebrated Christmas together and with Chris's wonderful family. I got all kinds of great presents and had so much good food that I think about that meal to this day. We sang carols and waited for Santa to show up and I ended up reading a book all about Legos with some of the younger members of Chris's family.

Oh, and I got this sweet boxer ornament.

We ate Indian food, ate weekly meals at his family's house, and made lots and lots of tacos with turkey meat. We shared desserts and appetizers, meals and snacks. I packed a LOT of lunches and Chris introduced me to chili fries from Taco Bell. That's right, their Taco Bells have fries. And chili. I don't understand it either, but I'm not complaining.

We shared this slice of brownie cheesecake from Future Bakery.

The weather was totally different. Like I explained to Chris, I know Fahrenheit for warm temperatures, everything from 60 up, and I know Celsius for cold weather, from 10 to -15 (5-50 degrees F). I experienced my first tiny tiny snowfall on Halloween morning on our way to Mass and survived a totally unimpressive snowstorm. I also saw a car lose control on the highway and slow motion slide into the median, leaving me terrified of ever driving anywhere but Florida.

Yes, I'm falling over after drawing a heart in Chris's parents' backyard.

This half a year has been something I wouldn't give up for anything. It's amazing to go to a different country and see just how much culture they can cram into a city. I'm so grateful because six months is a while, sure, but it isn't long at all when you're with a person who calls you the most beautiful girl in the world every single day and who makes you laugh with morning dance parties to terrible pop songs on the radio, and who supports you in your efforts to better yourself. I'm going to miss the heck out of this guy. But we both know it's not the end. I'm happy to go home and be with my people, and Chris and I will go back to talking on Skype and missing each other, only this time we know how great it can be. We don't have to wonder if it's all worth it. It is. Far above the sights and experiences of this city and this country, discovering just how right things are has been the best part of my time here. It's so great that I get to go home and be with my family, back in my hometown, all the while carrying that knowledge with me.

It was nice of them to build this statue when I got here, but why'd they put some dude on top of it?

I'm sad, but I'll be okay. I'm going to miss Monte and Chris, my boys, but it won't be too long before I see Chris again (August?) and it won't be long after that that he's graduated and we can get to the business of living together in MY country. I'm excited to see everyone at home, I've never gone so long without a hug from my parents, and I know they miss me, too. Hailey's probably six feet tall by now, I can't wait to talk to Courtney again, and my Jacksonville friends are amazing.

I'm going home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you made me tear up and I became sorry you were comming home, even thought we miss you so much. Dad

Whitney said...

Don't be sorry I'm coming home! I'm not. Sure, I'd like to put Chris in my checked bag and Monte in my carry-on, but I'm really happy to go home. I miss you guys every day.