Monday, March 21, 2011

Turning it Around

  It's officially too late to post last week's weigh-in. I took a picture on Friday morning but didn't get around to posting it due to a very busy weekend. What I would have posted, in brief, is that I haven't been eating well this week, and though I exercised and walked a decent (not great) amount, I stayed about the same weight because my eating has been off plan. We've been eating out a LOT lately. Those excuses, from, "We always said we'd eat here, and I'm leaving soon!" and, "It's our anniversary!" to, "I'm just so lazy," have added up. I even fell off my calorie counting for the first time in over a month.

We are, however, at the beginning of a new week. I'm ready to do this right. Leaving in nine days isn't an excuse, I'm going to have to eat well and exercise when I get home and when things are going on there. Sure, I'm really sad about leaving Chris and Monte and Chris's family and this amazing city, but going home is great and I miss my family so much. I need to be ready to export my good habits from here, where I have total pantry control, no job competing for my time, and where I've got a supportive boyfriend helping me get my butt in gear to home, where I have little control over what kinds of food we bring into the house, will probably have to get a job, and where, if I don't want to hear Chris asking me why I haven't worked out, I can just close the computer. I have to do this. I'm not saying that I haven't been living in the real world, but it's certainly been pretty great for making healthy decisions up here. I need to be adaptable, and it starts with firming up my habits here before I leave.


This morning I had my standard breakfast of half a cup of Kashi GoLean, half a cup of skim milk, and some blueberries. For lunch I had broccoli, roasted potatoes, half a sweet potato, corn, and some pork tenderloin, all leftovers, with water. Dinner's going to be a reasonable portion of whole wheat pasta with spaghetti sauce and meatballs from Chris's mom, and some steamed broccoli. It's not ideal, because I guess broccoli goes best with white sauce, but I've found steamed broccoli chunks mixed in with spaghetti sauce and noodles is really filling, particularly since you need something to compensate for the bulk of all that pasta you can't eat if you're trying to control your calories. Tonight we're doing at least one workout with EA Sports Active, and we might play a bit of the Raving Rabbids game Chris and I played last night. It was a lot of fun, and incorporated a bit of movement, as well, which is great.

Here's to admitting, hey, we've screwed up, and then letting it go. It's healthy. When you hold on to it, you think, "I messed up and had a Baconater for lunch, I might as well eat ice cream and pepperoni for dinner," instead of acknowledging that you gave into temptation, and that's not good, but now you should get back on plan to minimize the damage. One meal, one day, one week even can only be so bad. There's only so much you can eat or so little you can move. If you pick up right then and turn it around, you're set. If you live in your failures forever, that burger haunts you and affects your decisions for a long time to come.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

9 days?!! Holy moely. I feel like time flies, ya know? Good luck to you with going home. You can do this, gurl!