Monday, September 5, 2011

A Reflecton on Labor (Day)

I'm spending the holiday sick, and doing a lot of reading for school that, if not for this holiday, I would be attending. Yay, labor!

Speaking of, I feel like I'm reaching a breakthrough at work. I'm really getting so much more comfortable with the serving aspect that I can connect to the guests because my mind isn't on so many other things. Sure, I still make mistakes and I've not learned 100% of the items on the menu (just the 80% that are most commonly ordered), but it's enough to get by. It's fun to talk to customers and try to find common ground, and it's great to know that some people go out to eat for more than just food. They want atmosphere, food, and personable, friendly service.

So yes, the non-monetary aspects of work are going well. I went out with coworkers the other night after work and was really excited to interact off the job. Yay, socializing!

As for money, well, I'm still working around 20 hours a week, but we're just not getting a ton of customers on my shifts. I don't know if the restaurant is taking a hit, if people are just tipping poorly, or if I'm getting some bum shifts, but it's not great. I'm still able to pay my modest bills, but I don't feel like I have a lot left over for wedding things or paying off my student loan early. Ah, well. I have a great job environment with wonderful coworkers and customers, a schedule that accommodates my school hours, and tasty tacos whenever I want them. Okay, that last one is a little dangerous. But overall it's working out great.

No comments: